Monday, August 8, 2011

Kira-kira by Cynthia Kadohata

Kira-kira
Cynthia Kadohata
Atheneum Books for Young Readers
2004

Cynthia Kadohata’s Kira-kira motivated me to be grateful for who and what you have. Katie and Lynn are two sisters that share a very close bond with each other.  Katie and her family are moving down to Georgia because their family Japanese food store went out of business.  Their parents are going to work at a chicken factory and the family must get used to the new arrangement from a small, no-space, apartment in Illinois to a medium-sized house in Georgia. All of the sudden, Lynn is very pale and weak. Lynn is diagnosed with lymphoma and anemia. “‘Katie?’ she said. I almost never fell asleep deeply anymore----as soon as she said my name, I already sat up immediately, no matter how tired I was.  But that night I was completely exhausted. I could barely lift myself out “(Page 181).
Cynthia’s writing has themes of love, family, friendship, and how some families have to deal with a dying child. I enjoyed this book. I related to this book a lot from financial issues, family death, and friend issues. Kira-kira made me smile from ear-to-ear. Highly recommended four-teen and up.
Reviewed by Kaytlin 7th Grade